Politics

Postmortems underway after bodies of elderly couple found at their Kenmare home

Gardaí are hoping that postmortem examinations on Monday on the bodies of an elderly couple found in Kenmare, Co Kerry will establish exactly how the couple died.

The bodies of Tony Gilbert (83) and his wife Phyllis (83) were found by the emergency services at around 10.30am on Sunday in their home at Dromnevane Estate in Kenmare.

The alarm was raised when a relative called to the house and saw a note attached to the door asking the finder to contact the gardaí. The relative called the emergency services immediately.

A GP from Southdoc pronounced the couple dead and their bodies were removed to University Hospital Kerry where Acting State Pathologist Dr Linda Mulligan began postmortems on Monday morning.

It is understood there was no sign of forced entry to the house and neither deceased had any signs of violent injury. Gardaí say they are not looking for anyone else in connection with the deaths.

However, they are hoping the postmortems, which are expected to continue until late Monday afternoon, will shed light on what exactly happened to the couple and how they died.

Dr Mulligan will take blood samples at postmortem which will be sent for analysis and the toxicology tests on the samples may take a number of weeks before results are known, it is understood.

Gardaí made no comment about the investigation pending the results of the postmortem but informed sources say they believe that the pair had been dead for less than 24 hours when their remains were discovered.

Gardaí have begun door to door inquiries in the estate and have begun gathering CCTV footage around Kenmare town to try and establish when either person was last seen alive.

Gardaí under Supt Flor Murphy of Killarney Garda Station are expected to establish an incident room in Killarney and anyone with any information is asked to contact Killarney gardaí on 064-6671160.

Locals said the couple, who were originally from England, had been living in Kenmare for many years.

Fine Gael councillor Patrick Connor-Scarteen said on Sunday the news was just filtering through and people in the town were shocked and upset about the “very tragic news”.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with their families and friends,” he said.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *