News

EU to Allocate €5.4 Million in Support of 801 Dismissed Air Transport & Warehousing Workers in Italy’s Sardinia

The European Commission has proposed to support 801 dismissed workers in Sardinia, Italy, who lost their jobs due to restructuring and globalisation by allocating an amount of €5.4 million.

This group of 801 individuals includes 611 former Air Italy workers and 190 former workers of Porto Canale in Cagliari, SchengenVisaInfo.com reports.

In a press release issued by the Commission today, October 28, it has been explained that the proposed amount of €5.4 million from the European Globalisation Adjustment Fund for Displaced Workers (EGF) will support these workers in finding new jobs by pursuing further education, training, or even starting their own business.

“Sardinia has a small labour market due to its insularity and location far away from the mainland. The Commission has proposed the €5.4 million financial support from the European Globalisation Fund to give the dismissed workers additional active labour market measures they need to relaunch their careers,” Commissioner for Jobs and Social Rights Nicolas Schmit said.

Through the same press release, it has been indicated that the dismissals in Porto Canale are closely related to the end of operations at Cagliari’s port, following the relocation of cargo shipping operations to areas that offer land connections with the rest of the country and Europe.

Regarding the dismissals in the airline Air Italy, the Commission has explained that they have happened as a result of various unpredicted issues, mainly connected to the COVID-19 disease. Air Italy could not follow up with business as planned, which led to the company stopping its operations in February 2020.

Consequently, taking into account the current situation of dismissed workers, the Commission has clarified that the €5.4 million aid will help the authorities of Sardinia to finance measures including individualised job-search support and career guidance. Furthermore, the offered training will help them improve their digital skills and therefore contribute to the digital transition in goods movements and logistics sectors.

Apart from the above-mentioned measures, it has been noted that participants can receive allowances for participating in the support measures. The total estimated cost of the support measures is €6.3 million, of which EGF will cover 85 per cent, whereas the remaining 15 per cent will be covered by the region of Sardinia.

Due to the effects that the COVID-19 pandemic had on the Sardinian labour market, more than 6,000 jobs were lost in 2020, mainly in entertainment and leisure services, tourism, and maritime freight transport.

Previously, the EU Commission introduced a framework that aims to increase the incorporation of Erasmus+ and European Solidarity Crops programmes for the next six years.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *